Monday, May 02, 2005

Oh, my gosh, they're talking about my burrito

The Village Idiot apologizes for not writing last week, but he was on vacation from his real job, which made him far too busy to screw around with the blog. (He now switches from that creepy third person narrative style, which he has also adopted around the house, making even the Idiot Dog uneasy).

Rain in Idiot Town brought out the worker bee in me and I got a whole bunch of stuff done around the house. Mrs. Idiot and I were also lucky to host some family visitors as well as a chum from the old country during the course of the week, so the idiot’s vacation was all good wholesome fun and productive hours spent sprucing up the homestead. Painting rooms, sawing and hauling wood, running errands and planting trees is invigorating, but provides very little in the realm of amusing writing fodder, other than to say that everything about painting sucks. I was afraid I would have to resort to listing my top three favorite songs of the moment* and trying to call that good enough, when this story came screaming at me from the interweb.

*John Butler Trio- Zebra
Trey Anastasio- Cayman Review
Chuck Prophet- Pin a Rose

School Mistakes Huge Burrito for a Weapon

A call about a possible weapon at a middle school prompted police to put armed officers on rooftops, close nearby streets and lock down the school. All over a giant burrito. Someone called authorities Thursday after seeing a boy carrying something long and wrapped into Marshall Junior High. The drama ended two hours later when the suspicious item was identified as a 30-inch burrito filled with steak, guacamole, lettuce, salsa and jalapenos and wrapped inside tin foil and a white T-shirt. State police, Clovis police and the Curry County Sheriff's Department arrived at the school shortly after 8:30 a.m. They searched the premises and determined there was no immediate danger.


Principal Dana Russell said the mystery was solved after she brought everyone in the school together in the auditorium to explain what was going on. "The kid was sitting there as I'm describing this (report of a student with a suspicious package) and he's thinking, 'Oh, my gosh, they're talking about my burrito.'" The burrito was part of eighth-grader Michael Morrissey's extra-credit assignment to create commercial advertising for a product."We had to make up a product and it could have been anything. I made up a restaurant that specialized in oddly large
burritos," Morrissey said.


So there you have it, this blog practically writes itself.

No comments: